Monday, March 30, 2009

Grampa's Missionary Scriptures

I started a new tradition in the Hansen Family a while back of reading one verse from the scriptures to Jarekah after breakfast. This morning I came accross my father's scriptures from his mission in Taiwan. I couldn't help but feel proud and so blessed that I have such a wonderful father who set a good example for me and my children.



I remember when my Dad gave me his scriptures. I was 14 years-old and having a hard time with just being a kid. He sat me down and talked with me about "stuff." We were talking and eventually came to the part where he asked me what I liked doing and what about my life had special meaning or significance to me. I remember telling him that I loved music and singing and that was all I felt I had at that time.


He opened his scriptures and turned to Doctrine and Covenants 25:12. I remembered this because it was one of my favorite seminary scriptures, "Worthy Music." We read it together and then he said he wanted me to have his scriptures and read them often.


I must admit that throughout the years I have made a lot of bad choices and hard regrets, but they always led me back to this set of scriptures. They are old and worn and may not look like much to other people, but to me they are worth more than any other treasures one could have. I am so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for what it has brought to my life. I am grateful for a wonderful family who had the best of intentions for me. I am grateful for my beautiful daughter that I will pass these scriptures on to someday. Her precious spirit is so awe inspiring.



Everything we need is right here in the scriptures. All the answers are right in front of us if we just read them. Heavenly Father has given us the tools we need.



1 comment:

  1. YOU DO have amazing parents! I remembered your beautiful voice when I read this post:)!

    ReplyDelete

Silhouette Family